Monday, July 7, 2008

A MASTERPIECE RESTORED...?!



METROPOLIS is a masterpiece of world cinema.

And one of my top five favorite films of all time. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it (well over fifty), and how many moments in the movie continue to inspire me today (translation: I'm constantly trying to rip it off). Well, when Fritz Lang's masterpiece premiered in Berlin in 1927... it wasn't hailed as the greatest film of the modern age.

It FLOPPED. Royally.

Critics ripped Lang and the film a new asshole. The film, the most expensive ever made in German at the time, was supposed to be a big "F@#k you" to Hollywood, and demonstrate how German cinema could outdo Chaplin & Co. Well, METROPOLIS was a financial disaster. Worse of all, the film was really, really LONG... (not sure what the original running was, but I believe it was close to 3 hours).

So what happened?



UFA cut the crap out of it and shipped out a shorter, audience-friendly version to the rest of the world. It took years for the film to earn money and gain the reputation it has today. Now some of the footage originally cut from the movie has been found, but only short sequences... you know, bits and pieces.

Apparently that changed recently... as KEY SCENES were found in Argentina.

Now METROPOLIS is getting a full restoration. Soon, audiences (i.e. ME!!!!) will get to see the film at its original, fully-restored length. Lang's vision will at last be restored.

Oh, I can't wait!!!!!!!




For more info, go to the web address below:

http://www.zeit.de/online/2008/27/metropolis-vorab-englisch


Oh, and since I know you're now probably curious... here are Bassrocker's Top Ten Fav Films of All Time:

1. ALIEN
2. ANNIE HALL
3. THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI
4. METROPOLIS
5. HORROR OF DRACULA
6. DAY OF WRATH
7. THE SEVENTH SEAL
8. NIGHTS OF CABIRIA
9. HALLOWEEN
10. SOLARIS (1972)

Did I mention I like horror movies?

No comments: