Thursday, August 20, 2009

BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH THINGS TO DO...


... I'm running for the Board of Directors of the WGAw (Writers Guild of America).

Now I know what you're probably thinking, because so am I: AM I NUTS?!!! Between writing TV, writing comic books, writing audio plays, new parenthood, and... oh... A LIFE (!), I can't possibly have any more free time, eh?

Well, I keep saying that. And somehow, when I add something new to the agenda, it actually seems to get done. But the truth is, as a result of my experiences on the strike line in 2007/2008, I've come to realize how important it is to be actively involved with the future of professional storytellers, especially in a world where radical advances in technology and New Media are changing the game on what seems like an hourly basis!

Also, maybe... just maybe I can help make life a little bit better for both my peers, as well as future writers who have yet to even join the WGA. After all, that's what the founders of the Guild, men and women who sacrificed everything (and got blacklisted for it) did like seventy-odd years ago. Those folks really had the really hard job of being first through the gate, and that alone is something to respect and admire. If I could be a quarter of the pioneer that they were back then, that would make it all worthwhile.

Hmmm. That's sounds a lot like lofty rhetoric, eh? Well, what do you expect? I am a writer...



Seriously, though.

Maybe it's this simple. Maybe being part of a Guild or any organization is about being responsible to something larger than yourself, something that has your back.

So maybe it's just time to start giving back.

Whether I win or not will be unveiled in mid-September, so stay tuned for more as it happens...



Oh, and if you want to check out my Candidate's statement, point your web browser to the link below.

http://vote4etd.blogspot.com/2009/07/eric-wallace.html

Or simply CLICK on the words "WGA 2009 Statement" on the RIGHT. It'll tell you a bit more about me. And while you're there, check out the other candidates who are running at the web address below, some of whom have been kind enough to endorse me.

http://vote4etd.blogspot.com/

Yeah, it's gonna be an interesting Autumn...

No comments: