Sunday, April 11, 2010

WONDER CON 2010



I've heard WONDERful things about this convention for years. But although I've been attending various sci-fi & comic book conventions since 1985 (my first Doctor Who convention where I met the Third Doctor--John Pertwee--and the 2nd Master--Anthony Ainley), I had somehow never made it to San Francisco for WONDER CON.

Well, I finally got around to it this year and had a blast.



In addition to buying toys and catching up on my comic books, I was just delighted by how many old friends I ran into. We're talking folks I hadn't seen in years. Oh, and yeah... Lou Ferrigno, too.



I also had my brother-in-law along for the ride. He lives in China and was visiting the U.S. for a few weeks. Well, between the costumes, panels, and other shenanigans, a great time was had by all. Listening to Kevin Smith chat on Friday night was one of the weekend's highlights. Of course, I was so busy laughing I forgot to take a picture. Here's one of The Avengers instead.



Of course, WonderCon wasn't all pleasure. There was business afoot, too with my participation in DC Comics' BRIGHTEST DAY panel. In addition to giving fans a sneak peek at what's in store for the DCU in 2010, it was also announced that OSIRIS will be joining the TITANS. My first issue as writer on the new team launches May 5th with the TITANS: VILLAINS FOR HIRE SPECIAL #1. But then... you already knew that, right?



But no WonderCon report would be complete without mentioning... yup, you guessed it: the U.S. Premiere of Matt Smith, the Eleventh Doctor, in THE ELEVENTH HOUR. The episode was shown twice with huge lines of people waiting to get inside the screening room. I got lucky. The DC Brightest Day panel was in the same room as the DW screening, so after the panel I was already inside and able to get a decent seat. The event began with a special videotaped introduction by Matt Smith and Karen Gillan saying "hello" to the American fans and thanking us for our support of the show.



Then.. the lights went down and the era of the Eleventh Doctor began! What did I think? I really liked it! Yes, I'm still missing David Tennant a bit, but Matt Smith delivered a great performance and I think his Doctor's really going to grow on me over the course of Series Five.



By Sunday, despite the rain, it was time to go. And I was having a hard time saying good-bye to San Francisco and it's delightful convention. Guess I'll just have to go again next year...

No comments: